Welcome to St. Francis of Assisi
As you prepare to baptize your child, you are given the opportunity to reflect and re-evaluate your commitment and discipleship in the Catholic faith. The fact that you are planning to baptize your child expresses your commitment to your faith. Your example will mold the faith of your child. It’s such a special and sacred time, reminding us that we are all children of God and have an expressed covenant to participate in our Catholic Community.
It is with great joy that St. Francis of Assisi Parish welcomes your child in Baptism. We hope this is the beginning of a long relationship of faith experiences in our community. We look forward to helping you in a way we can to spread the Good News of Jesus. We encourage you to find a Mass time that will be convenient to your family and for you to attend on a regular basis.
We are very grateful that you have chosen St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Community as your place of worship, fellowship and stewardship. Peace in Christ!
- from the Baptism Team of St. Francis of Assisi
Note: Infant baptism is for children 6 years and younger, if your child is older please contact Lisa Nakamura at email@example.com
Our mission based on Matthew 28: 19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
- English Baptisms
- 10:00am 1st & 3rd Saturdays of the month
- Vietnamese Baptisms
- 10:00am 2nd Saturday of every other month
- (Check with baptism coordinator)
- Spanish Baptisms
- 10:00am 4th Saturday of every other month
- (Check with baptism coordinator)
Please plan ahead and allow at least three months for the entire baptism process.
Process and Requirements:
· See info below on mailing required documentation
1. The following 3 items are needed for the baptismal process to start:
Once we have received all items, you’ll be contacted within the week by the Baptism Coordinator.
- Completed Baptismal Request Form
- Child’s County Birth Certificate
- $80- Registered and active St. Francis of Assisi Parishioners
- $95- Non-registered, or registered less than 3 months
Note: If initially you do not have the godparent’s names, these must be provided within 3 weeks of submitting the request form. (See godparent requirements below)
2. Godparent requirements and Godparent Affirmation Letter(s):
Details of Canon Law requirements are provided with the Affirmation Letter.
- Signed Godparent Affirmation letter(s) - one for each godparent
3. Baptismal Preparation Class:
Both Parents & Godparents must attend a Preparation Class
Class pre-registration and donation is required:
If the child is to be baptized at St. Francis of Assisi:
No additional donation needed, it's already included
The baptismal coordinator will schedule your class according to your child's baptism date.
If baptizing at another church:
Attendee(s) must pre-register via the parish office
A donation of $25 is due the night of the class
Parents are responsible for notifying the godparents
**If parents and/or godparents have or will attend the class at a different parish, we will need the certificate copy from that parish
** If parents and/or godparents have attended a class within the last 3 years, they do not need to attend again. We need a certificate or letter for the class taken.
4. Permission from 'other Parish' - if applicable
If you are registered at another Parish, but wish to baptize your child at St. Francis of Assisi, we will need a permission letter from that parish in order for you to baptize your child here.
Delivery of documentation:
- At the parish office: (office hours Mon - Fri 9:00 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 4:00)
- All forms are available at the office, please bring a clear copy of the birth certificate or the original certificate and we can make a copy here.
- In email: Send the attachments in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download, complete and attach the required documents Baptismal Request Form, Godparent Affirmation Letter.
- Scan a clear version of the County Birth Certificate
- The donation may be mailed to St. Francis of Assisi –
Mail to: St. Francis of Assisi – Baptism
5111 San Felipe Rd., San Jose, CA 95135.
Please make a note on the check: Baptism & (child’s name)