Day Break Respite and Caregiver Support Services is a community-based program sponsored by Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County and located at St. Francis of Assisi Parish that provides non-medical care to meet the needs of functionally impaired older adults while enhancing the quality of life for both the participant and caregiver. Our mission is to help dependent seniors to “age in place” and remain in their family homes for as long as possible. Catholic Charities serves people of all beliefs, cultures, ethnicities, and ages.
- Licensed Adult Day Care Program
- Safe, interactive social, recreational, & educational programs
- Click to download brochure
- Daily exercise, music, and reminiscing
- Nutritious hot lunch and two snacks
- Transportation assistance
- Individual intake assessments
- Personal care plan
- Medication reminders
- Community linkages
- In-Home Respite Care & Socialization
- Escorted Transportation
- Caregiver Support Group (meets on the 2nd Monday of the month from
- Caregiver Education and Training
- Health Assessments and Screenings
Where & When:
The Fireside Room @ St. Francis of Assisi Parish
5111 San Felipe Rd., San Jose, 95135
Mon – Fri: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
(Early Bird Hours Available!)
The multi-disciplinary team includes a Program Supervisor (a licensed Social Worker), Program Aide (Certified Activity Director), Activity Assistant (CNA), contracted Parish Nurse from O’Connor Hospital, Rides Coordinator for the Escorted Transportation service, and numerous trained volunteers.
Day Break’s respite and wraparound supportive services can:
Enable dependent elders to remain at home for as long as possible, preventing or delaying inappropriate admission to a nursing home
Help increase dependent elders’ socialization, recreation, and physical & cognitive functioning, thereby decreasing isolation and depression.
Improve the overall quality of life for both family caregivers and dependent elders, equipping caregivers with the critical respite and support that they need to successfully manage their complex 24/7 caregiving duties.
Day Break offers a reasonable sliding scale rate with fees ranging from $20-$60 per day, including a nutritious hot lunch and two snacks. No one is denied service because of inability to pay – financial assistance is available.
Our volunteers are important, have fun, and help make our Day Break program successful. Share a special talent or develop a new skill by working at Day Break! Here are some of our volunteer opportunities:
- Transportation assistance, in-home respite, friendly visiting
- Crafts, painting, art projects
- Gardening, nature walks, outdoor activities, bird watching
- Sing-a-longs, story-telling, puzzles, and games
- Dancing, music, exercise
- Bring your pets and grandchildren to visit the elders
- Answering phones, filing, and errands
- Meal preparation, set-up, and clean-up